Monday, November 12, 2012

Week 9: My Left Arm is Falling Asleep

So basically the entire left side of my body is in a state of complete physical discomfort. I'm in desperate need of a nap. I think I'm just going to sleep all through Thanksgiving; I deserve it for being such a hard worker and whatnot.

But there is still much work to be done before the holidays next week, so no sleep for me.

The Honors program was visited by Dr. Vince Brewton last Monday to discuss the Red Cross. Now Dr. Vince Brewton is not in charge of this Red Cross organization; however he is in charge of the ever-so illustrious Honors program, so I trusted his word on the subject. Anyways, he told us that the Red Cross is pretty much the jack-of-all trades organization for disaster relief, charity, and health related causes. Currently they are busy with Hurricane Sandy clean up efforts. I just found out that you can change the font on this. The Red cross arrives on the scene of a disaster and writes checks for people who need to stay in hotels if their homes were destroyed. Isn't that cool? That's a very nice thing for an organization to do I would say.

I need to step back a minute and explain why it was Dr. Brewton who talked about the Red Cross instead of an assigned speaker. Basically she had to reschedule. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the details of the beginning of this conversation but I believe that her absence led Dr. Brewton into addressing the question, "why do selfish people quit their volunteer jobs?" Just from typing that I realize that there's a big gap in the connection between the Red Cross speaker not showing up and the addressing of aforementioned question.
But the answer to that question was simple enough: High work rate and low pay rate. The moral of that story is that you shouldn't be a selfish person in a selfless organization. Hang in there even if the work rate sucks, because selfless organizations strive to make a difference for the betterment of a local or global area; they don't exist for the sole purpose of giving you a good resume.

You wanna watch a video about caring? Let's see if I can find one. I need a little break from typing because my left arm is still in discomfort


This is what happens when you are selfish....people get angry, simple as that.
In this video the selfish fish (or rather the selFISH) saw in the pocket of the tea party coordinator something that could benefit the whole tea party. However, The tea party coordinator refused to just let the selfish partake in the juicy fruit. Everyone else in the tea party need Juicy Fruit too (even though the rest of the party have yet to show up in need of delicious chewing gum) The point I'm making is that there is no room for selfishness in volunteer work.

Last fun fact I'm going to post about Red Cross before I sign off. The Red Cross has different names based on where they are in the world to account for other religions. They are also known as the Red Crescent (Islam) and the Red Diamond (Judaism). Cool huh?

I need to get some volunteer hours too. I'm off to find out where I'm going to go do that.

Bye bye.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment