Friday, November 2, 2012

Week 8: Something Actually Piqued My Interest

So honors forum finally had a guest speaker that talked about a form of civil service I was interested in. I addressed Heritage and the Main Street volunteer groups in my first week of bloggery, and after listening to our last week's speaker, Bradley Dean, I realized those might not necessarily tie into the platform I had in mind. However, I thought of something I could do in relation to my platform that Mr. Dean mentioned. I'll get to that in a minute, but here's pretty much the content of the class.

My girlfriend is gorgeous. You should be jealous.

That wasn't part of the lecture, it's just a personal observation. Anyways Bradley Dean is the art and digital design director at Billy Reid. He received an education at UNA with a major in art and a minor in entrepreneurship (my recently declared minor). One piece of advice that he gave us was to take the extra steps needed to be exceptional in your career. An education is always a benefit, but taking the time to learn new things on your own that aren't taught in a classroom. That way you can be unique in your career path. Billy Reid has been a success as far as being unique goes; everything is controlled from Florence: The warehouse, the customer service, the shipping, design, etc. It's all done in Florence. Billy Reid is also taking that step into being unique by trying to make shirts from organic cotton (by that I mean none of the process of making the t-shirts involves anything artificial). By being unique we can make changes to where we live. So how do we go about doing that?

First we can make changes to where we live through work. That refers back to the organic cotton processing. Second, we can change where we live through social interactions outside of work. That means civic service. Keeping a watchful eye on the things that go on around the town you live in and guiding the direction of the town in a responsible way is what we can do to make an impact.

Back to my new idea for platform related community service






So I like music. Who doesn't right? Anyways Bradley Dean got to mentioning the music committee on First Fridays...I got to thinking that volunteering for that could be my contribution to the community that would be related to my platform. Also I got to thinking that a photography or video related internship at Billy Reid would be the cat's pajamas, as the saying goes. Just a thought anyways.

Time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment